Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Graveyard Shift


Graveyard Shift
Graveyard Shift by Angela Roquet

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I give props for the totally incredible new world presented in this book. Think Greek gods, Egyptians, deities, angels and so on, all living in some kind of another dimension with Limbo in the middle as a safe port to everyone where reapers are little more than slaves and souls are the coin.

Our main character, Lana is a reaper and a not very good one because she often bends the rules to help souls. Suddenly she receives a promotion which is little more than a veiled death sentence though she doesn't know at the time. I'd like to say I like her but she doesn't do much for me. I admit I get a headache just trying to follow her life around not to mention I don't really like to read how much little power she has over her own life. She is dropped in a political jungle she has no way of getting out or manoeuvre.

Her romantic life is pretty unexistent even after finding herself a boyfriend, one I gotta say I don't trust one bit, too damn convenient for my taste, he starts up as a cocky and arrogant guy who can't stop flirting with her to a shy guy who blushes every time she looks at him. If that's not weird, I don't know what is. Besides we never actually get to watch them together and no, I'm not talking just about sex. The author seems to run as fast as a gazelle every time there is a chance at intimacy.

It seems to be interesting enough for me to read the next one but can't be sure of more. It's too dried to hold my attention for long. The plot seems way too complex and convoluted for a first instalment. The characters need to be more fleshed out, more humane and a little more witty. They all seem to get incredibly boring sometimes. Not to mention the cheer number of characters is staggering. I can't even remember a third of them.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment