Monday, May 26, 2014

Review: Pleating for Mercy


Pleating for Mercy
Pleating for Mercy by Melissa Bourbon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Finally.

This was a hard read for me. I was hopeful when I started but didn't stay that way for long. Seemed to rely way too much in certain clichés and started to drag. The only saving grace for me was the mystery. I never really suspected Ruth (or whatever her name was) 'till the very last pages. That part was definitely well done. The investigation? A complete bust. The main character is a dressmaker and, like her friends and family said constantly, I think she should keep her day job. She completely sucked at the rest. She was totally clueless, naive and dumb. Her "romantic interest" is equally unimpressive. Simply boring. No sparks whatsoever except for the ones she claims to feel. Of course her dead grandmother approves of him so she'll probably end up with him anyway. The so-called Southern charm? Nonexistent. I, for one, was not charmed. I think I only liked one character in the whole book. The sheriff. Which is totally weird because he showed up only a couple of times and only said a couple of words. Then again, maybe that just shows the awesomeness of the other characters. Not.

Overall? Probably a waste of time except for the murder mystery.

Rating: 2.5 ★



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment