Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: Undead to the World


Undead to the World
Undead to the World by D.D. Barant

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Since the beggining of this book, I've been right alongside Jace. She lost her memory and I'd read her other books quite some time ago and my memory was faulty at best. I rediscovered everything at the same time Jace was. And boy was that stressful. There were some characters I remembered of course, namely Charlie and Cassius but mostly my light bulb only lit when Jace got some important piece of memory back.

It cost me so much watching her friends die. Even if they were only strangers with their memories. Logically I know they weren't the real deal, that they are safely tucked on their plane of existence but emotionally it still hurts. And Galahad was just so heartbreaking.

Last thirty pages were actually painful to read. So much death. So many things that could and did go wrong. Charlie loving Jace was so surprising. No, not surprising. I always knew he loved her. They are partners and best friends. It was obvious. Being in love with her though...Although that's not exactly right either is it? Charlie Allen, the "fake", really did fall in love with her but the real Charlie doesn't really confirms or denies if he feels it to.
We are simply left wondering.

Just like we are left wondering what Jace decides at the end. Did she accepted Cassius help to send her to her original plane? Did she decided to go back with Cassius to his or stay with the "fake" Charlie in this new plane?

Seems like a little overkill of choices if you ask me. All have their damned good and bad aspects. I understand her wanting to go home but I also think she fell in love with Cassius and his world. And suddenly she realizes she spent months in a new plane deeply believing she was part of it too. Way too complicated.

I began this book thinking this series was reaching its end and I got this conflicting feeling of glee and doom.

Then I read the end...Guess what? No ending to this series yet. I feel thrilled and disappointed at the same time. I had managed to come to accept it and now I feel kind of cheated. And the cliffhanger just makes it damn worse!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. All the doom and gloom sounds pretty depressing. But it does sound pretty interesting overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was a very complex book. I had some difficulty at first...but it is pretty interesting! It was worth reading that's for sure!

      Delete