Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Awakening the Fire


Awakening the Fire
Awakening the Fire by Ally Shields

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I think maybe I'm being overly generous with this rating but right now I'm too satisfied with this book to care. The main character, Ari, is slightly naive and imprudent but also brave enough for it not be much of a problem. The rest of the characters are very interesting and surely added a more vibrant feel to the story. That said, while the plot was certainly compelling, it was also kind of hard to follow at times. I think it was supposed to look mysterious but was actually confusing instead. Ideas half-muttered and unfinished. A string of new characters every other chapter. Although I have to admit that was also half the fun. Not knowing everything ahead of Ari. Now, Andreas...Ari's love interest. I'm not sure about him. Both seem to have a lot of preconceptions about each other due to their races and I'm not sure it will end well if they can't get past it. Even if they could...her powers seem to be growing and my guess is they're headed to a collision soon enough. Too bad she doesn't seem to have anyone who can help her and whose trust is not questionable. Also infuriating they never got to kick Sebastian's ass. That would've been awesome. Oh well.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment