Watermelon by Marian Keyes
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I'd have liked to be able to give a 3 star rating but I started thinking how unfair it would be for those books I liked more and just couldn't. Don't get me wrong. It's not horrible or anything even close. It's just annoyingly emotional. Like 90% emotional and not even a good emotional where you can actually follow the characters line of thoughts but one where you get incredibly bewildered and sometimes even angry with the stuff this 30 year old woman manages to unearth. I'm sorry to say but I don't get where she got this stuff from. I didn't see a reason for half her actions and I sure as hell didn't understand her calm acceptance that everything bad that ever happened in her life is her fault and never seems to accept a compliment. I also don't get how a confident woman (supposedly but I never met her) can go from 8 to 80 in ninety seconds without a second thought or explanation. So it made for an increasingly annoying female. I think her two month old daughter actually managed more maturity than her sometimes.
I can admit it was emotionally exhausting and even stressing and I was simply reading it. I'd also like to say I was amazed with Adam but I wasn't. He also seemed to be amazingly charming and mature one minute and a child the next. Of course the bland finish of the book didn't help. I hate those endings where the author can't really justify putting the couple together so she ends just hinting at it. Disgusting and disappointing.
PS: If the main character isn't as annoying as I'm making her, I apologize. It's totally possible that I'm exaggerating. There was a lot of skimming concerning this book because I got bored and jumped through entire paragraphs.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment