Grimspace by Ann Aguirre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
One hell of a book. I was expecting some cheap science fiction novel with no start, middle or ending, just a jumble of made up facts that made absolutely no sense and explained nothing to the reader and was instead greeted with an awesome story with likeable characters. Not that Ann Aguirre isn't a great writer because she is but I just can't help some trepidation every time I start reading a sci-fi book. They almost always disappoint me and are a waste of my time but alas, I should've known better considering I've been reading Aguirre for quite some time now. She does not disappoint. I found myself laughing out loud or quaking in my boots (not that I'm wearing them now; it's summer) right alongside the main character. The pull of the story is so big and so well done I had a huge difficulty tearing myself from it to actually work today. The plot is gripping. The characters feel like real people. The writing is at a great level of mastery. Didn't blow my mind but it was close.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment