Witch for Hire by N.E. Conneely
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
2.5 ★
1st thought I had after I finished: "Is that it? Talk about a lackluster ending".
I was not impressed by this novel. Technically it wasn't too bad, just some minor editing problems and even those were sparse so I wasn't very upset. But the plot was rushed, the characters weren't very fleshed out and the worldbuilding felt inconsistent, boring (which was a new low considering there were supernatural crimes all over the place) and incomplete.
As a main character, Michelle is not all that interesting to get to know. I think her lack of reaction is supposed to be a sign of maturity and control but it makes her feel muted somehow. I couldn't connect with her. I couldn't understand her reasoning or her actions. To me, it looked like she was just passing by the events in her life instead of actually live them.
Her mother felt like a cardboard side character. Same can be said for her father. I thought his sudden appearance was going to move things up a bit but Michelle just carried on as if her father had been absent for a day instead of 25 years. Her friends are pretty much non-existent. They are there but you barely see them.
Elron, the elf, could've been a great addiction if he had actually done anything besides showing up.
The bad guy/girl...wasn't much of a bad guy. Kind of stupid and boring...so much so it made the whole ending scene pretty anti-climatic. Not that Michelle was better. She made a foolhardy plan without a single fail-safe and is surprised when things go wrong and she almost gets killed. Not to mention her lack of knowledge of any type of self-defense. No matter how powerful a witch is there is always a chance there is someone better or with more resources. Specially when one is working for the police and helps catch bad guys. Either learn to protect yourself or go home. Idiot.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment