Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Review: The Seahorse Who Loved the Wrong Lynx


The Seahorse Who Loved the Wrong Lynx
The Seahorse Who Loved the Wrong Lynx by Scarlet Hyacinth

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



30 pages to finish and I just couldn't get there. Two words: first person. I hated it. It was confusing and weird and I just couldn't handle it. I was never sure who was talking. The grammar was incredibly poor, the dialog stilted and the background pretty much nonexistent too. There's a part where Layton phones Alexis and they're talking and suddenly Layton says Alexis is arching his eyebrow. I mean, really? It can happen if it's a video call but no one said anything about that so...there's other discrepancies too. Not as blatant but close and it was distracting as all hell. And have I mentioned how much I hated first person? Really awful. Made me hate pretty much every character too. And yes, I know it's number 8 of a series but it's not a good excuse. I've read other books in the middle of a series where some simple paragraphs managed to situate me just fine without any significant bumps. This was not the case. And if the writing was anything to go by..So not worth it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment