Be Careful What You Wish For by Alexandra Potter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Surprisingly light with a dab of morality. Like the title indicates (not very subtle is it?) the story is centered in wishes. Small little things one can't help thinking when something goes wrong or could simply be better: I wish my computer was a little faster, I wish my mom would stop nagging me...those kind of wishes. The main character, Heather, is like most people. She wishes stuff automatically without a second thought. Until a gipsy gives her a lucky heather and all her wishes start coming true. At first glance, Heather thinks this is wonderful news! Who wouldn't want to meet the man of her dreams? Or not having to stand in line or be stuck in traffic? It's bloody perfect!
Soon the warning signs appear: what good is having the man of your dreams in love with you if you're not in love with him? what good is having all your wishes coming true if your father has a heart-attack and almost dies? After all was your life really that bad before?
I admit I ended this book quite happy. It's funny, entertaining and delivers a serious message with a lightness I haven't seen in others. Overall is wonderfully written and I recommend it fiercely.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment