Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: Magic to the Bone


Magic to the Bone
Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



My actual rating is 2.5

Why? It's 50/50.

I liked the plot. The main character is likeable. She's smart, funny and tough. I like that she's different from other magic users and I definitely like the fact that she doesn't let herself be manipulated by anyone, not even family. She also seems lonely but I guess that comes with the territory.

What I don't like however kind of shadows what I do like. I don't like all the secrecy. I understand why it's there but I find it extremely hard to believe a secret society exists. No, I'm not kidding...Let me explain. I believe it can exist but not in that specific situation. It was talked that it existed for centuries if not thousands of years and they knew for a long time about magic while everyone else only learned about it 30 years ago...Ok. I understand it's quite simple to be secretive about something other people have no idea about but they managed to continue this after magic was discovered? Even though they kept trying to interfere? In 30 years not a single soul found out and told the public? Really hard to swallow! Human nature kind of dictates this...There is always someone who finds out and talks about it. Unless of course someone decides the secret is worth killing. In that case...this secret society is not very life friendly is it? I'm confused and I wouldn't be if it was better explained.

Same thing about her father. He was obnoxious to her. Made her life hell and all that. We never got to see more than Allie's point of view.

And the magic thing? I'm sorry but I don't see the point. I would understand it's constant use if there were not many side effects but permanent memory loss? Physical pain? Naaahh. I think I would be Nola in this book. I understand balance not punishment and this seems more like punishment.

I will be continuing this series but only because I'm curious about Zayvion. I'm actually afraid the main character will either end up dead, in a coma (again!)or permanently disabled.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment